Wednesday, September 1, 2010
the first steps on Dominican land
Wow! After a long day of traveling, we've made it! We are at the base in Jarabacoa. I can't see much because it is night, but what I can tell is that this is a beautiful country! I've been excited all day until I stepped foot off the plane. It is a whole new world down here, starting with the language. I encountered two women in a bathroom at the airport, and they started speaking to me in Spanish. My immediate reaction was to be bashful. I could not look them in the face and muttered some beginners words back to try to be polite. For the first time in my life, I am the minority. For the first time in my life, I can begin to empathize with immigrants into America. Wow, I have an entirely new respect for them. I now am the one who has no idea how to behave culturally, or how to communicate, or how to carry myself. I am lost in a world of strangers. The best word to describe my complete feeling is inferior. This is going to be a long ride in learning to be confident in what language knowledge I DO have. I'm excited and anxious to embark on this adventure and to trust in the Lord my God to carry me through. Right now I can clearly see that relying on Him is the only way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So thankful you arrived safely! Praying for you as you adjust to the new language and culture. If you have a chance read Romans 12:1-2 in the Message Bible; it will inspire you as you start this semester.
ReplyDeleteLove & Prayers, Auntie Mona
I am a relieved mom! You have a great perspective on the culture differences. I know God will guide you as you listen and rely on Him. Trust your instincts.
ReplyDelete